Quality is not as expensive as you might think. We are happy to agree our fees in advance. Our clients know about the likely costs of a case and are always kept fully up-to-date with costs.
We offer initial consultation between £150 - £250 (plus VAT) depending on the expertise of the Solicitor dealing with the meeting.
We may be able to provide a fixed fee to assist you.
Legal Aid may be available however this subject to financial eligibility tests which change from time to time. To view the most up to date information please go to https://www.gov.uk/civil-legal-advice. If you are in doubt whether your case is one of the kind that is still covered by the legal aid scheme please contact us.
In family cases – like most firms of solicitors, we charge based on how much time we spend on your case and the applicable charge rate depends on the seniority of the Solicitor responsible for your case. As your case progresses, we provide you with updating costs information.
When we bill for our work, you will receive a detailed breakdown setting out how every penny of your bill has been calculated.
You may be eligible for Legal Aid and to calculate your eligibility please visit https://www.gov.uk/civil-legal-advice.
In the event that you have suffered domestic violence and require legal aid, please refer to http://www.justice.gov.uk/legal-aid-for-private-family-matters.
For the preparation of Wills and Powers of Attorney:
- We will charge a fixed fee that we will agree with you at the outset.
- In the event that a home or a hospital visit is required we will advise you at the outset of the additional charge in that regard.
We can help you through this difficult process by obtaining the Grant of Probate (or Letters of Administration) on your behalf. We will also undertake the collecting and distributing of assets and drawing up Estate Accounts for your approval.
How much does this service cost?
To allow us to offer you a fixed fee for probate services we offer a consultation appointment to discuss the matter. At that appointment we will review the assets and liabilities within the estate and agree a fixed fee for the administration plus VAT and disbursements. However, an average estate with one property to sell and no inheritance tax due is £5,000 plus VAT and disbursements.
Breakdown of costs:
Legal fees – Profit Costs agreed at the consultation
VAT on legal fees is £20% of the profit costs plus disbursements.
- Probate court fee of £155.00
- £5 to swear oath and £2 per additional document (per executor)
- Bankruptcy – only Land Charges Department searches (£2 per beneficiary)
- £180.00 Post in The London Gazette and Local Newspaper – Protects against unexpected claims from unknown creditors (incurred upon your instructions and at your discretion).
- Share valuations fees – approximately £60.00 per holding.
- Disbursements are costs related to your matter that are payable to third parties, such as court fees. We handle the payment of the disbursements on your behalf to ensure a smoother process.
As part of our fixed fee we will:
- Provide you with a dedicated and experienced probate solicitor to work on your matter
- Identify the legally appointed executors or administrators and beneficiaries
- Accurately identify the type of Probate application you will require
- Obtain the relevant documents required to make the application
- Complete the Probate Application and the relevant HMRC forms
- Draft a legal oath for you to swear
- Make the application to the Probate Court on your behalf
- Obtain the Grant of Probate or Letters of Administration
- Collect and distribute all assets in the estate
- Draw up Estate Accounts
How long does the process take?
On average, estates that are not subject to inheritance tax and have no property to sell can be dealt with within 12 to 18 weeks. Typically, obtaining the grant of probate takes 12 weeks. Collecting assets then follows, which can take between 4 to 6 weeks. Once this has been done, we can then draw up the Estate Accounts and distribute the estate.